- Scope: Design and development of NCLR case laws database
- Year: 2011
- Client: National Council for Law and Reporting
We developed the first online collection of Multilateral and Bilateral Treaties involving Kenya. Having won the tender in the procurement of the system by the national Council for Law Reporting, Digital Vision East Africa Ltd embarked on the task of creating a comprehensive, searchable and fully detailed online database of all Kenyan treaties.
The final online system is a custom developed web application that uniquely addresses all the requirements of the national Council for Law Reporting as far as updating and managing of the online publications is concerned.
The online application was created using the current web standards and at the same time conforming with the council’s branding allowing users to search for specific treaties using general and advanced search criteria and read or download the specific treaty in a variety of common formats including Word 2003/2007 and PDF.
In keeping with the council’s mandate to transform Legal Information into public knowledge the treaties database goes a long way in making this a reality.
The key factors addressed in this application:
- Full customization means that the product is unique in it’s nature and thus fully owned by the council.
- Use of Open Source ensures that the system does not require paid licenses.
- Use of modern frameworks means that the system remains stable and robust.
- The simple usable interface of the system makes the learning process very fast.
- We also provided detailed user manuals as well as administrator documentation for management of the system.
- We also provided the fully documented source code to enable future development by the council.
- We ensured the website communicate effectively by keeping the visual cues to the point to enhance distinctiveness and to provide emphasis.
- We also used user familiar formats such like placing the search box in places where users would expect it, using familiar terms like sign-up and log-in and placing the major links in familiar places will help in reducing the user’s learning curve for your website
- We ensure that we tested the websites and that all the stated requirements were in place together with those functionalities necessary for the website.
- We also ensured strict security measures were in place to avoid hacking of the websites or malicious intruders.
The following Powerful Tools used
We used several tools to come up with such kind of user interactive websites. Listed below are some of the tools we used.
- Model View Controller(MVC) Framework
- CSS 3 for design
Why did we choose these tools?
The above tools enabled us to come up with a robust and stable system that would be easy to manage the codebase as well as create room for improvements and innovation.
The MVC framework ensures that presentation is independent of functionality allowing the look and feel to be manipulated at the same time guaranteeing the full functionality of the system.