- Scope: Consulting, Design and development of LKM system
- Client: Amkeni Wakenya
- Technologies used: Bitrix Intranet, PHP 5, Jquery
- Year: 2011
- Platform: Bitrix Intranet
Amkeni learning and Knowledge Management system was designed and developed to be a knowledge repository and knowledge sharing platform for Communities of Practice within the organization.
Amkeni Wakenya Learning and Knowledge Management System
Amkeni Wakenya is a UNDP Kenya initiative that aims to promote democratic governance in Kenya.
Amkeni Wakenya works with many Community based organizations and hence has alot of records and information on each and every partner. The interactions grow exponentially with every project and interaction with partners.
One of the key mandates of Amkeni Wakenya is the coordination, formation and nurturing of knowledge communities to encourage and share information especially on one thematic area, Democratic governance.
Within the ‘Amkeni Environment’, there are various knowledge workers/actors:
1. Amkeni/UNDP Staff’
4. General Public
The above actors are disparate repositories of tacit knowledge which need to be shared, documented, retrieved and stored, as part of Amkeni collective knowledge base
There also exists a need to leverage Amkeni extensive corporate knowledge and know-how to facilitate strategic decision making.
This could be done through either of the below, or a combination:
- Documentation and Distribution of Existing Experience-From both, Amkeni Corporate databases and individual Amkeni actors
- Knowledge Maps to Assist in Strategic Decisions-From relevant datasets and Personal experiences
- Ubiquitous Access to Topic Relevant Information through the appropriate channels and tools
There existed a lot of individuals and disconnected data sets which needed to be availed to all the above knowledge workers at Amkeni Wakenya. Some knowledge workers did not even know that some of the knowledge resources existed/
Research shows that the inability to provide the right knowledge to the right people at the right time leads to:
- Slow execution: If employees cannot locate mission-critical information in a timely manner, key milestones will be missed.
- Knowledge gaps: When employees with valuable expertise leave a company, their knowledge often leaves with them
- Long sales/Decision making cycle: If individuals cannot respond quickly to customers’ questions, decision making is prolonged.
- Delayed time-to-act: Failure to quickly locate expertise or information delays product development and the products’ time-to-market.
- Subpar quality of output: If the quality of work is dependent on information, the right knowledge must be located and applied.
We needed to organize all the information and knowledge from separate sources within Amkeni Wakenya into one cohesive system that would embody all the knowledge that is contained within the organization
We chose Bitrix Intranet to be our platform of choice in implementing the system
Some of the activities we undertook in the Amkeni LKM project include:
- Selecting Knowledge management champions at management level within Amkeni and other Democratic governance projects at Amkeni Wakenya.
- Identifying the knowledge that was deemed as most important to the knowledge workers involved
- Information and data acquisition activities (interviews, documentation review, business process analysis, etc.)
- Concurrent with data acquisition activities,understand the network layouts and network resource usage
- Design of the LKM system based on bitrix intranet
We delivered a learning and knowledge management portal with the following features:
- Business process automation- We automated a number of processes including grant management, Suppliers registraton and Disbursement tracking
- Subsystems: Suppliers database, consultants database, Resource center db
- Calendaring: Implemented a reporting calendar with reminders to the right personnel. We also created procurement calendar with reminders on when certain actions were expected on particular contracts and vendors eg renewals. Of course this tied with a general calendar for all organization events
- General news and announcement modules
- Reporting module
- Social intranet tools like photo and video galleries, task assignment
- Grant tracking from registration of CSOs upto the administration and disbursement of funds, tracking of project activities and field visits.
Learning and knowledge management strategy has to be aligned with the business strategy.